Apple’s big news Yesterday was the unveiling of two new iPhone models, the iPhone 5C and iPhone 5S. What’s the difference between the two? You’re in luck. Here’s a side-by-side breakdown for the 5C and 5S.
Price, With Contract
- 5C: $99 for 16GB, $199 for 32GB with a cellular-service contract. Cases are $29 each.
- 5S: $199 for 16GB, $299 for 32GB, $399 for 64GB on contract. Cases are $39 each.
- 5C: $549 for 16GB, $649 for 32GB
- 5S: $649 for 16GB, $749 for 32GB, $849 for 64GB
Color and Material
- 5C: Plastic body comes in five bright colors: fluorescent white, green, blue, pink and yellow. The 5C’s body is comprised of a single part with no seams or joints. Apple’s cases for the 5C are made of silicon rubber.
- 5S: A metallic body that comes in silver, gold, and space gray. The model is constructed of high grade aluminum with chamfered edges. Apple 5S cases are leather.
- 5C: 8 megapixel rear iSight camera and a new front-facing FaceTime HD camera.
- 5S: The 8 megapixel camera features an f/2.2 aperture and a larger light sensor than the iPhone 5. A new camera app takes multiple photos with every shutter press and chooses the best picture in terms of light levels, sharpness, and stabilization. A two-LED flash adjusts color and intensity, offering what Apple claims are more than 1,000 combinations.
- 5C: Apple-designed A6 processor/graphics chip, 4-inch “retina” display
- 5S: 64-bit A7 processor/graphics chip, M7 “motion coprocessor” chip for analyzing accelerometer and other motion data, home-button fingerprint sensor, 4-inch “retina” display